Thursday, February 26

Some people, some friends...

Today I spoke with two old and dear friends... one from grad school and one from college... And, even though I don't speak with them often, we fell back into our old grooves: smiles, laughter, concern, love, and care all bubbling quickly to the surface.

So, how is it that I can feel so at ease with them, so secure, so willing to let it all hang out? There's no pretense, no games. I want that in all my relationships...

Lacey and I used to enjoy time together after classes in grad school. We'd hang out in the pub after class and toss back a few and then make out in the hall behind the juke box or in the car in the parking lot. Linette went to college with me in Gambier. We were long time friends who once or twice ended up in the sack for a night of soft & passionate sex. Both Lacey and Linette married, and each has a couple of children. And, I'd go to town with either of them, or both of them, in a heartbeat. But it's not the sex, at all, that defines the relationship. It's the love and caring; it's the desire for all good things to happen to the other. It's the holding up, not the holding down.

So, why do I raise this? Well, I'm wondering why it is that some friendships last forever and why some love can stretch a lifetime.

Anyone have the answer?

No comments: