Saturday, December 25

Yesterday and two years

Well, yesterday was the second anniversary of the first date Jane and I had. And to think that now little Miller is crawling all over the place. My, how things have changed, and mostly for the better, I might add.

However, and there's always a "however," isn't there, we had a little bit of a fuss yesterday. Everything was fine. I was ill, so I spent the day in bed. Kathleen brought over Drew and Ralph so they could give Miller his gifts. I slept through it all, the sounds of women's chatter and boys' giggles floating up the stairs and through the open door and invading my head like little wavelets. So, far, okay.

Then we went to church. I broke out in a sweat -- the fever popped, but otherwise it was uneventful. Miller was well-behaved, flirting with all the pretty girls. One of the college students was home, and Miller settled into her arms for part of the service, resting his head on the open flesh showing cleavage. And then after church he spent time in the arms of his girlfriend, one of the older middle school girls who just adores him. So far, okay.

On the way home, I pulled in to pick up the mail. Mistake. Beth had send me a Christmas card; I didn't even notice it as I handed the stack of mail to Jane. "Can I open this?" she asked.

"Sure," I replied. I mean, come on, what am I going to say?

She opened it and there was a fairly innocuous card with a gift certificate for a local Italian restaurant. Jane went silent. Livid. All the way home. We got home and I stumbled in with the baby, my illness kicking up a notch. Jane made me soup, silently. She wouldn't talk to me. When pressed, she said she wasn't made at me. Sure, I believe that. Not.

I told Jane I'd write Beth and tell her not to ever write or call me again. Jane said I'd resent her, if I did that. I'm thinking that would be better than the cold shoulder and the silent treatment.

Needless to say, there was no sex commemorating our 2 year anniversary...

No comments: