Thursday, November 20

The things children say...

Jane and I drove over to Kathleen's to get the boys... we're headed home from picking up pizza and Ralph says, "Dad, Mercer's mom isn't married."

Pause. I'm wondering how to digest this. "Thanks," I say.

Jane slaps me.

"You asked me on Tuesday to find out," he volunteers.

For some reason I start to laugh. I'm in the dog house. I'm driving down the road laughing hysterically at the situation; I've been found out. Ralph was so innocent in providing the information; I don't think he realized this was probably not the thing to say in front of Jane. Jane asks if I was wondering for a friend; she knows that isn't the truth. I just laugh in reply. Busted, I am.

We get back to the house and eat the pizza. Jane is cold to me. She leaves right after dinner even though she'd earlier had thoughts of staying the night.

Earlier today, I told my neighbor I was thinking of putting an addition on the house as I need the extra room. I talked around why, but told her my family was going to get larger and I needed the space. "That's great," she said. "Well, sort'a," thought I.

No comments: